Auckland Eating

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Nickie's Thai - Newmarket

06-Oct-2005 8:00pm and 11-Nov-2005 7:30pm

Thai Mmmmmmm. I'm a big fan of Thai food and Nickie's is a pleasant place to enjoy a good meal. I've never been to Thailand so am not qualified to comment on the authenticity of the various restaurants in Auckland but I do know that this place ranks highly on my Thai-o-meter.

If you like your food hot (spicy), make sure that you know exactly what the Thai version of hot means. I enjoy a strong curry, eat jalapenos whole and generally like a little burn. At Nickie's Thai, I've learnt to stick to the "Medium" side of the menu. Even their Tom Yum Gong, a soup for those not familiar, is a Medium and this stuff will clear any nasal congestion within 10 meters.

Last night I went to Nickie's on a spur of the moment kind of thing; I was going to a movie at Newmarket and needed dinner inside me first.

One minor downer I've noticed at Thai restaurants is that their drinks list is never the most extensive. There were only 4 different red wines available at Nickie's but there were very reasonably priced. If you're after a cocktail, then you're probably ok as Nickie's does have a bar with the usual selection of mixers, spirits and beers.

Only one glass of wine last night since I didn't want to fall asleep in the movie and we didn't have long before it started anyway. Which nicely segues into the fact that service at Nickie's is prompt. From the guy outside who convinces passers by to come in to the checkout dude who takes your credit card, everything was pleasantly efficient. If a water glass was almost empty, it'd be under a minute before someone came by to refill it. We were asked 3 times if we'd like more rice with the meal which may sound pushy but didn't come across that way at all. Perhaps it's the outfits that the hostesses dress in; Asian Flight Attendants is what I was reminded of. Anyway, extra rice if free so it's not like they were working on commission or anything.

I've almost always stuck to either the Nickie's Ocean dish or the Nuclear Beef - find what you like and stick to it I say. They do offer everything from vegetarian meals to, well, Nuclear Beef and you won't leave feeling like you've been ripped off. I like a plate where I don't leave anything behind but couldn't fit any more in. Ahhhhh, perfect.

Not only was the food good but I learnt the difference between Ganesh and Vishnu. See, eating out can teach you about religion as well.


Oh, if you've not seen it yet, go and watch the movie Serenity. You won't be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home